Monday, July 14, 2008

Where to stay on the cheap while in Rome...

Everybody writes and asks: "I'll soon be in Rome and have no money so where can I stay?"

There are many hundreds of cheap religious hostels, but here's just a few. Please note: these are cheap places and so you get what you pay for.

Istituto S. Giuliana Falconieri
Casa per Ferie
Via S. Giuseppe Calasanzio, 1
00186 Roma
Tel./Fax. 06.6871471
s.giulianafalconieri@virgilio.it

Centro Accoglienza Padre Giovanni Minozzi
Casa per Feire
Via dei gigli d'Oro, 15
00186 Roma
Fax. 06.6832773
prenotazioni@operadonminozzi.it
www.operadonminozzi.it

Casa di Accoglienza Santo Spirito
Borgo S. Spirito, 41
00193 Roma
Fax. 06.6865664
ssmsanpietro@libero.it

The last is the best and just across the street from the Vatican (if you don't mind hearing the bells of the Vatican Basilica all night).

4 comments:

Lady Lauren said...

I am proud of myself. It has been years since I have been in Rome, but I took one look at "Borgo S. Spiritu" and thought "wow! That sounds close to St. Peter's!" and then I saw your note! :)

Raphaela said...

Now who could possibly mind hearing the bells of San Pietro all night?

Plus, it can't be more disruptive to a good night's sleep than the dysfunctional seagulls that screech all night in the vicinity of Centro Minozzi. And after a couple of nights I'd completely tuned them out. :)

John Paul Sonnen said...

Raph, that's hailarious! Note to readers: some of these places are dusty/filthy and haven't been cleaned in ages so bring slippers!

Backpack Joe said...

Hello!

My experience has been that when you backpack through a country, hostels and "bed and breakfasts" are a nice place to spend the night. And if you choose wisely there are quaint places that are cheap.

If your planning a more long term stay in Rome though, it would be cheaper to avoid hotels and just rent a vacation apartment. They are more affordable, and you can even cook your own food. I found this site useful if you want to rent an apartment. http://www.110apartments.com/new/en/search/italy/?_o=town

I hope this helps!