Friday, May 19, 2006

Once and former convents...



As one travels by liner, train or auto through Italy, one might find themselves at this resort just northwest of Rome on the sea, in Ladispoli. I enterd this property expecting to find a convent. But, with a moan did I find it today to be a resort spa. All over Italy, in only recent years, many religious orders have acceded to the offers of the hotel industry to buy their properties. All along the Mediterranean coast there remain old convent estates, some of which are now being sold to hotel chains. Why is this? We need religious vocations! Just south of Ancona, I climbed to the top of the Monte del Conero last year. There I found the former monastary there closed as it is now a flashy hotel, too. As I stepped out of the church there, I had a sudden sense that there was a tremendous fire, until I saw that it was not smoke, but clouds that were passing through us. Pray to the Harvest Master! Our sisters deserve the best, not the hotel industry!

No comments: