For over fifty years Padre Pio lived in the village of San Giovanni Rotondo. This is the church where he received the stigmata in 1918 and where he celebrated his daily liturgies from 1916-1959.
The Capuchin friars first arrived in this village in 1540. They then began construction of this little church, still standing today, that was consecrated and dedicated to Our Lady of Grace (Santa Maria delle Grazie) in 1676.
The colorful ceramic over the main entrance was blessed and dedicated in 1935.
Millions of pilgrims have entered and prayed here.