Thursday, February 26, 2009

A word about The Tablet: "hyperbole" and "detraction"...

At the Venerable English College in Rome the guys call it, "The Rag." English priests and seminarians in Rome are not happy with The Tablet. Truth be told, I didn't even know what The Tablet was.

"Why Rag?" I asked with a nervous laugh. Each agreed: "There is a difference between journalism and hyperbole and The Tablet is hyperbolic. Catholic journalism in England is dead and now it is guilty of detraction, too. The Tablet has become as a dirty old rag."

How is one to react to this? If I was in charge the first thing I would do is fire the editor and editorial board.

The next thing I'd do is name Tim Finigan the next Cardinal Archbishop of the Westminster See.

Sign this petition here: http://www.petitiononline.com/tabletap/petition.html and make darn sure that other fine priests and laymen don't get torpedoed by Catholic "journalism" in the UK or elsewhere.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Almeno Elena Curti ought to have her employment terminated.

Anonymous said...

Public opinion exerts massive force and authority over the leadership at the Tablet. Let them see what people are saying on the street.

Ken Eck said...

Thanks for this link John. I have signed the petition and put a link on my blog too.I love all your photos from Rome!