Sunday, November 02, 2008

What unbleached beeswax candles look like...


As kids I can still remember mom telling us a few times that in the old days church candles were made of beeswax.
Times have changed. But to their credit, some get it right. To be sure, the Oratorians do.
This past January while in London this photo was taken at the London Oratory. This was the first time in my life I had seen an altar dressed with unbleached beeswax candles!
Expensive, but worth every penny. In Rome churches you can always find one side altar in almost every church with a depiction of a crucifixion scene where the unbleached candles were where the Requiem Masses were read.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are lots of chandlers here in Canada making pure natural 100% beeswax candles. I've been told by some people that they can't go to church because of allergic reactions to paraffin candles -- such an unnecessary shame! Natural beeswax doesn't really cost much, either, because they last far longer than artificial wax candles. I'm prejudiced, of course, I make beeswax candles: www.smallbones.ca.