Monday, February 05, 2007

St. Thomas Aquinas in Laziale travertine...


At Rome’s Angelicum I found myself walking along the cloister while enjoying the afternoon breeze from the open arcade in front of the aula magna.

I was having one of those great conversations that one has among students of theology. Then we paused to ponder this beauty cemented on the façade of the aula magna which was constructed in the early 1930s.

My friend happens to be a “monarchist.” One doesn’t meet many of them back stateside, but it sure is a delight to hear their wisdom on the subject of governemnt. He was even able to quote Aquinas on the topic verbatim: “The rule of one man is therefore to be preferred to the rule of many, although perils follow from both.”

St. Thomas Aquinas: The Governance of Rulers, I, 5. (13th cent.)

No comments: