Monday, January 22, 2007

January 21: Feast of St. Agnes...

If you're ever in Rome on a wintry January 21, take an early bus out the Via Nomentana and you'll see this lovely sight at the Chuch of St. Agnes!

Each year the nuns prepare two young lambs in this manner. They actually tie them down in baskets (the lambs don't bite, but try to eat the plastic flowers, so attenzione!).

The kids (and adults, too) stare in awe at the lambs and then try to pet the fur, still being cautious of the chops.

Then the lambs are processed into the church for a nice High Mass with the Canons of St. John Lateran. In this church are located the bones of St. Agnes (although her skull is located at S. Agnese in Piazza Navona).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. My daughter and I were trying to make out the photo posted at Yahoo on Saturday.

Anonymous said...

Hey John~

Thanks so much for all your great pictures of true Catholic traditions in the city of Rome! I think it is so important to see such things as I feel that Catholics are loosing more and more the awesome traditions of Holy Mother Church! Keep up the great posts!

FYI~ Baby is a month away now! Please let C~ know and say prayers for baby and I as the baby is still head up. I may end up having a c-section at the end! I hope not! So please pray for safe and healthy delivery.