Thursday, January 04, 2007

Dec. 31: Feast of St.Sylvester...

When I was in high school a lady in church once complained to me that the great tragedy of the liturgical reform was the loss of our once rich liturgical calendar.

Now I live in the Diocese of Rome and I enjoy the rich fruits of their liturgical calendar (they kept so much!).

December 31 in Rome is still the feast of the Holy Family, but also the feast of Pope St. Silvestro I (m. 335). Every year I make a visit to his church in Rome on this day to venerate this relic of his skull. He was the Pope when Christianity was legalized!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi John Sonnen. I am enjoying your blog. Our church is suffering from liturgical amnesia, the more liturgy we lose the more people
we lose. I don't know whether there
is a correlation or not but it seems that there might be.
Love, Granpa Bob