Friday, January 19, 2007

The archetype of leadership: a priest with his sons...


When I think of the Old Testament election and consecration to God (he who has merited the priestly dignity), I think of this man, my mentor, “the” Monsigor.

He, through the grace of God, was to beget many spiritual sons through his generous paternity, one of which I am proud to be. He directed my passion for the sacred liturgy and made me the adult Catholic that I am today.

As a kid I pondered from the pew the rich symbolism of the Roman Rite. I contemplated and assimilated higher truth through liturgical beauty. Even the child in the pew thinks, abstracts and infers concepts through the mood and images. An image is not just a representation, but a manifestation of the thing itself.

It was the Monsignor who interwove it all together for me and so taught me the Roman Rite. He often instruected us: "A common birthright for us Catholics is to enjoy the liturgy as the Church has given it to us. In Her wisdom the Church has given us the liturgy as She desires it to be presented (nobody has to be creative with it)."

Pray for him as he rears his spiritual sons – even today – he’s eighty-six! His lovely sermons were often capped with this thought: “The Church is Jesus Christ! When you love Christ, you love the Church!”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ARE YOU REFERRING TO MONSIGNOR SCHULER?IS THAT A PICTURE OF FR. BODIN,FR. PEDERSON AND MSGR. SCHULER IN HIS APARTMENT?

John Paul Sonnen said...

yes, it was a private mass, in august of 2006...such a blessing to witness!

Anonymous said...

DEAR JOHN,


ARE YOU GOING TO BECOME A PRIEST ---GOD IS CALLING YOU---MONSIGNOR INSTILLED A LOVE OF THE MASS IN YOU FOR A GOOD REASON---SIGN UP TODAY--JESUS IS WAITING!!!!!!!!!



YOUR BROTHER IN CHRIST