Friday, January 25, 2008

Fearless: resplendent liturgical rites...


Like Dorthy once said: "There's no place like home." However, then there's the glory of the liturgical life in Catholic Italy!
Actually, this year marks the XXth anniversary of the time when I first donned the Roman cassock and surplice. My own dad brought me into the sacristy and explained to me that this is what he had done and my grandfather and my great-grandfather before me. For a 9 year old, it was a proud moment. Dads, bring your sons to the altar and know that fides vincit!
"To be Christ's page at the altar, where even angels falter, to touch the throne most holy, to serve at the words of a priest..."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful oratory, John; where is it at? a private home?

John Paul Sonnen said...

Yes, it was a private house chapel in a palace in the north of Italy. Rome is full of countless such chapels.

M.J. said...

Huh! Now that I think about it I've been an altar server (on ad of) for 20 years as well. LOL.

Anonymous said...

There is a certain faith-musculature in only having boys serve at the altar.