Friday, December 01, 2006

Honour the colours: and chat Catholicism!


Hours after I had first arrived in Rome as a graduate student, my dear friend, Mr. Poole, handed me a lovely book by Mr. Belloc (an original edition!), and read me this line:

"Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine
There’s always laughter and good red wine,
At least, I’ve always found it so,
Benedicamus Domino!"
-Hilaire Belloc

Then, we lit up our pipes and walked along the old abandoned Roman aquaducts amongst the old gypsy camps on Romes's southside and chatted il cattolicesimo. Needless to say, it was grand.

The Church is fun. She is our hobby, our passion, and it sure is a blast to chat about Her! But just be sure to portare some nice Virginia tobacco with those pipes and some nice vino da tavola bianco: e un ottimo vino da tutto pasto!

No comments: