Thursday, December 21, 2006

Christmas on the streets of Rome...


As I walk the cobbles and hum, "I'll be home for Christmas," I think to myself: "Isn't it great to see every boutique, window and store decorated in celebration of the Incarnation of the Babe from whose fingertips tumbled planets and worlds?"

If you're in Rome at this time, just take an evening stroll down the Via del Corso and the Via dei Condotti and enjoy all of the holiday cheer of Natale and Capodanno. The crowds, joy and lo shopping is just the best!

A Natale siamo tutti piu buoni! You will see the lights, flowers, un presepe here and there, Babbe Natale all around (Babbo Natale is the Italian name for Santa), gli zampognari (le zampogne are the best-vestiti con i costumi tradizionali) which you imagine surely must be from the south and then the le caldarroste all on the sampietrini! Then, of all this you can smile and say to yourself:
"It's beginnnnning to look a lot like Chrissssstmaaaaas...eeeevery where I go!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am so happy that you are able to have the wonderful experience of being in Bethelehem at Christmas and in the Eternal City during this holy season. Wish I could be there too! :)

God bless, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!
--Maria

John Paul Sonnen said...

maria:
visit us anytime in rome. it will be nice to see you, whoever you are, so welcome!