Wednesday, May 06, 2009

To feed the fires of a vocation: the altar boy...

"I can never remember a time in my life when I did not want to be a priest. In the early teens my father would send us to work on one of his farms. I recall doing spring plowing, watching the young corn come up under my eyes; as I saw the rich dark soil turned over, I would say the Rosary begging for a vocation. I never mentioned my vocation to others, not even to my parents, although others often told my parents they thought that I would become a priest. Being an altar boy at the cathedral fed the fires of a vocation, as did the inspiration of the priests who visited our home almost every week. Not to be omitted was the Rosary, which was said every evening by the family before retiring."

-Treasure in Clay by Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful book indeed. Thank you for reminding me to re-re-read it!

gemoftheocean said...

Yes, great. And his vocation would have been no less diminished had girls been able to serve then.

Either one is "called" -- or one isn't. It's not dependent on the actions of anyone but God, correct?

Boys don't stop wanting to be astronauts just because there are a few female astronauts. There are ZERO women priests, so boys have no need to feel "threatened."

Priesthood's a 100% male job.