Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Pope Saint Pius X: my Confirmation saint...

Got a deal on tickets and so tomorrow I leave for Padua/Padova to go to Riese, birthplace of Pius X. Thursday is the celebration of his feast there, August 21, and so they will have a nice festa and we'll see about getting some nice photos, etc. I carry your intentions in my heart.

These days Riese is more or less a distant suburb of Padova, in the Veneto. It's an intensely Catholic area. In that pocket is located Trent, Venice, Padova, Verona, Brescia, Milan, etc. Then, there's Lake Garda, too! This summer I read all of the Canons and Decrees of the Council of Trent cover to cover and it was an exceptional read (if you think there are problems in the Church today!).

This afternoon was a joy to swim in the Tyrrhenian. Cold water today. It's been a windy summer, with waves, but today was the first calm day this season. All still - perfect for hunting octopus! When there's wind the waters are choppy and then one can't see below, but with no wind and no clouds in the sky they were all out!

Swimming out between the boats my Russian friend called out to me: "Gianni!" Gianni, (prounounced "Johnny"), is what the locals call me (as well as "Little John"). Please pray for my Russian friend, L. Her father lives in Vladivostok and she's a good woman who has suffered greatly.

One of the best memories I have of my time in Italy is swimming out deep in the aqua-green waters to a type of buoy called a "nun buoy." Holding onto the buoy, the thrill is to look back at the coast where one can observe the layers of nature which the Creator has painted for the Italians and tourists: one sees the blue sky with no clouds, the by now parched yellow hills of August, the villas and flats, the palms, promenade, colored umbrellas, sand and then the blue-green waters. Then the usual biplane flies overhead towing an advertisment for all to see! And today it was cool to see a 1930 Lancia on the way to the beach!

At the tomb of St. Anthony of Padova I will pray that you, gentle reader, will find what you are meant to find!

3 comments:

Bailey Walker said...

Happy Feast Day! Ad multos annos!

Oremus pro invicem.

In Xto,

Bailey Walker
Falls Church, Virginia, USA

Anonymous said...

Thsnk you for your wonderful blog!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Pius X is also my confirmation saint (and I'm female). Enjoy your visit to Papa Pio's hometown, and remember me in your prayers. Have a beautiful day!

Regards from Canada,
Patricia Gonzalez