Monday, August 24, 2009

Monsignor Richard J. Schuler, PhD: the one who made me...


He lives through us, his sons.

The priest is a father to many. This was a preeminent priest. He had many spiritual sons.

If you're lucky you'll have a good priest-mentor in your youth. I had mine, a wise and trusted counselor. He made me the Christian man I am today. How? Grace, yes. But it was also his love. He loved me.

He was forever young. Diligent in prayer. Lover of the Roman rite. Church musician par excellence. Priest of God in toto. A German-American. He loved Viennese church music. He gave us the great treasury of sacred music which the Church has always fostered.

Such sterling qualities of leadership he had. It is my earnest wish that by maintaining high Catholic ideals in my daily life I may demonstrate appropriate gratitude to this wise and generous "Shepherd of Souls."

Father Schuler, pray for us.

And we offer a prayer for the repose of your holy soul, too.

While visiting his gravesite I can still hear Schubert, Mozart, Woss, Bruckner, Palestrina, Benevoli, Joseph Haydn and Michael Haydn, Schroeder, Tittel...(and sometimes even Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries!).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What cemetery is he buried in?

PiusLad said...

Msgr. Schuler is a truly great man, and a great priest.

Requiescat in pace.

John Paul Sonnen said...

St. Mary's in South Minneapolis.

swissmiss said...

Is there a family stone too?

A large number of my father's family is buried in St. Mary's. Several, including my great grandfather, are buried in the "paupers" section with no marker.

BTW: Thanks for bringing the papal blessing back with you. Hope to get it soon and then hung on the wall.

Anonymous said...

It is good to see a tribute to Msgr. Schuler. He was my grandfather's best friend for many years and was truly a force of tradition. RIP