Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Rome: to live under the shadow of the dome...

This morning, in the Lateran Archbasilica, I met an American woman from Brooklyn - 85 years old - who came to Rome as a pilgrim. This made me proud. And she even met Cardinal Pacelli when she was a teenager during his historic visit to the New World in 1936.

Then, during riposo, I enjoyed a nice cigar while strolling through Castel Gandolfo, in the Castelli. I took some photos of the bomb damage of the property of the papal palace from World War II. From what I saw, it was two-fire alarm damage (I'll soon post the photos).

Then it was off to the parish of Sant'Eusebio all'Esquilino, near Roma Termini. Daniel Cardinal Di Nardo took possession of this as his titular church in Rome today. It was a delight to chat with him as he arrived. I found him to be a delight - with a smile and a warm word for everyone. Needless to say, the Italians were delighted to have an Italian-American in their midst!

From 1958-2004 this had been the titular church of Franz Card. König (imagine being a cardinal for as long as he was!). As far as I know, this was the first time a cardinal has taken posession of this particular church since early 1959. Anyways, it was a lovely evening.

May God be praised!

No comments: