Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Libreria Editrice Vaticana: Vatican polyglot press...


Yesterday, by God's grace, I got a great tour of the Vatican's polyglot press.
I went to the palace in the Vatican City of the Libreria Editrice Vaticana just to buy a calendar for the new year. Then, the director himself brought me downstairs and showed me the rooms with the big printing machines.
There were lots of workers, all busy with diligence (wow, imagine that - Vatican employees actually doing something instead of just pretending to work!).
The press is run by the Salesians, as he explained. He also showed me the largest and most lovely statue of Our Lady that I have ever seen. It was in one of the stairwells, from Pius IX.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

JP. Don't suppose you've got a shot of that Statue?

Anonymous said...

take out the parentheses
and enclosed statement
also remove the statement about the kids spraying you with ...on New Years. Its derogotory.
This is a professional web site.

John Paul Sonnen said...

No photo of the statue, but it was gigantic.

This second note has got to be from my owm mum.