Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Buona festa: Pio X...

Today on the liturgical calendar we celebrate the life of Pope St. Pius X. Non videbis annos Petri proved true and so he died August 20, 1914.

He was born in Riese, a little town just north of Padova. So the next time you're in Venice, take the train to Padova and then a bus just north to Riese to see his birthplace which is now a little museum.

His body is incorrupt and millions see it every year in the Vatican Basilica. Today I'm reading a great book entitled, Life of Pope Pius X, published by Benzinger Brothers in 1904 and I wish everybody could get a copy and read it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

But isn't the feast of Saint Pius X on September 3rd?

Anonymous said...

I have 11 biographies of St. Pius X :c), but the *best* one that I have *ever* read, and which I heartily recommend is:~

St. Pius X: The New Italian Life of the Saint by Fr. Hieronymo Dal-Gal Translated and adapted by Rev. Thomas F. Murray.

It's based on the evidence of the witnesses consulted at the Diocesan and Apostolic Processes for the Beatification & Canonisation, as well as other sources. I have the 1955 edition which includes an appendix covering his Canonisation. If you can get yourself a copy you won't be at all disappointed!

Anonymous said...

Oh! And you can't mention St. Pius X without mentioning his faithful Secretary of State, the Servant of God, Rafael Cardinal Merry el Val. If you want an excellent biography of the Cardinal to compliment that of St. Pius X, you can do no better than get:

Rafael Cardinal Merry del Val by Marie Cecilia Buehrle.

It's an absolutely *wonderful* read; truly :c). I can't recommend it highly enough. It’s the best of the 5 biographies I have on the Saintly Cardinal.

M.J. said...

If this is the same book that I have by Benziger & Co. then I have to agree with you. I escpecially love the description of the ceremonies at his coronation.

latinmass1983 said...

I have that a copy of that book. Excellent pictures/illustrations that it contains!

John Paul Sonnen said...

In the "Novus Boredo" August 21 is Pius X (obligatory memorial).

Great to hear from you fans of Pivs X. So much to be said about him. I will remember you all as I pray before his august tomb. Viva!